“Rothiemurchus, gateway to the Cairngorms, has become a name which is etched deep in the consciousness of Scotland and which holds an exceptional place in the natural history of the nation.”
Magnus Magnusson KBE
For centuries nature and people have lived in harmony in Rothiemurchus. At its heart lies one of the largest areas of natural forest in Britain with an extraordinary variety of wildlife that depends on it for survival. We can enjoy this unique environment today, because of the dedication and love of eighteen generations of Grants of Rothiemurchus and the other caring families whose livelihood it has provided for over four hundred and fifty years. By enjoying Rothiemurchus you can help: profits from activities, car parking, shops and other commercial activities are ploughed back into the care of this family owned estate to enable sustainable stewardship of the forest and for wildlife to thrive.
WE WARMLY WELCOME YOU TO OUR LIVING HIGHLAND ESTATE; ROTHIEMURCHUS.
Situated at the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, we present a unique blend of stunning landscapes, exciting outdoor activities, and locally sourced Scottish crafts and foods. You may choose simply to walk or cycle around our carefully maintained paths, taking in the spectacular scenery. Or perhaps you would like to take part in some of the many outdoor activities we offer; from clay shooting, fishing, quad bike trekking, pony hacking and off-road driving, to archery, wildlife watching and canoeing.
If however you would like to know more about the natural environment of this beautiful place, then you would appreciate the invaluable advice available from one of our friendly Rothiemurchus Rangers – one of Britain’s most expert Countryside Ranger Services.
Do food and gifts enliven you? If so then you will be overjoyed with our enticing farm and gift shops brimming with Scottish crafts and locally sourced produce. Whatever you choose to do, you’ll be helping us to look after the natural and cultural heritage of this wonderful place. Thank you for visiting us and we look forward to welcoming you soon.
We believe this is the perfect place for your Natural Highland Adventure.
- 10,000 hectares of Ancient Caledonian Forest, Lochs, Rivers, Glens, Mountains, and wild landscapes.
- Owned, managed and cared for by Johnnie Grant (16th Laird) his wife Philippa and their family, Rothiemurchus has been looked after for centuries.
- Rothiemurchus’ business is founded on caring. Our motto ” Air Son Ma Duchus” translates as “our place, our people, our livestock, our forest, our visitors.”
- Outdoor highland activities, incredible landscapes and eating or shopping for local produce.
- Home-grown trout, shaggy Highland Cattle, venison and barley are all farmed on Rothiemurchus.
- Rothiemurchus Ranger Service is one of Britain’s most expert Countryside Ranger Services.
- Drumintoul Lodge hosts outstanding views, log fires and meeting rooms for a wealth of dining, meeting and team building opportunities.
- Moulded and cared for by people for thousands of years, Rothiemurchus is now enjoyed by hundreds of thousands annually. Become a friend or explorer and you too can continue to help care.
Rothiemurchus includes the main Estate operated by J P Grant of Rothiemurchus as a sole trader and other businesses.